The 'First Steps for SIDS' campaign now features a drawing for a bonus prize awarded to one of the people who enter: $500 toward a 529 college savings plan. This drawing joins the other prizes that will be awarded to winners of the campaign, which will be announced in January.
Sudden infant death syndrome, or SIDS, occurs when an infant dies for no apparent reason. It claims the lives of 4,000 infants in the US each year. 'First Steps for SIDS,' launched by the American SIDS Institute and the Aaron Matthew SIDS Research Guild, seeks to raise money to help understand the root causes of SIDS.
To participate in this campaign, parents and grandparents are encouraged to visit the campaign website to submit videos of their child taking his or her first steps. For a $5 donation, any visitor to the site can vote on their favorite video. One hundred percent of the proceeds will be used to fund SIDS research.
Voting continues through January 1, 2019. On January 15, 2019, the videos that received the most votes will be announced, and the following prizes will be awarded for the most popular videos:
- Grand prize: A trip for the winner and three other people to Disneyland. The package includes four round-trip tickets to Orange County, four Disneyland passes, and two nights at the Anaheim Marriot.
- First place: A Microsoft Surface computer.
- Second place: An Xbox One.
- Third place: An REI co-op bike.
- Bonus prize: A drawing for $500 toward a 529 college savings plan.
Submit your videos and vote on your favorite at http://www.firststepsforsids.org.