The U.S. Food and Drug Administration asked?consumers on Tuesday?to discard three lots of Darwin’s Natural Pet Products dog food because samples from those lots have tested positive for salmonella.
"The FDA is issuing this alert because these three lots of Darwin’s Natural Pet Products raw dog food represent a serious threat to human and animal health," the release says.?
Those who are in possession of products from the affected lots should stop feeding the dog food?to their pets and throw it away "in a secure container where other animals, including wildlife, cannot access it."
The release lists the recalled products?as:
- Darwin’s Natural Pet Products Natural Selections Chicken Recipe with Organic Vegetables for Dogs, manufactured on October 19, 2018. Code:?5309(11)181019
- Darwin’s Natural Pet Products Natural Selections Chicken Recipe with Organic Vegetables for Dogs,?manufactured on November 11, 2018. Code:?5375(11)181106
- Darwin’s Natural Pet Products Natural Selections Turkey Recipe with Organic Vegetables for Dogs, manufactured on October 26, 2018. Code:?5339(11)181026
The codes?can be found on the products' packaging in the second group of numbers below the barcode, the FDA says.
The affected products are manufactured by?Arrow Reliance Inc., which does business as Darwin’s Natural Pet Products, the FDA says.
The FDA says that Arrow Reliance has sent customer notifications but not issued a public recall notice.?The actions taken by Arrow Reliance?constitute the regulatory definition of a recall, the FDA said.
The FDA issued its Tuesday warning because the agency was "not confident that the firm’s customer notifications are effective for this ongoing recall," the release says.
Darwin’s Natural Pet Products are sold directly to consumers, the FDA says. Darwin's website says the company ships their products to customers across the United States.
Because the affected products are sold and stored frozen, the FDA warns that consumers may still have the products in their possession.
A USA TODAY request for comment?to Darwin’s Natural Pet Products was not immediately returned on Tuesday night.?
In humans, symptoms of salmonella?include diarrhea, fever?and stomach cramps; the illness can last seven days, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Severe salmonella can lead to hospitalization or death, especially in children, the elderly and people with compromised immune systems.
Related video: The Salmonella Outbreak Linked To Ground Beef Has?Ended?(Provided by Newsy)
- New study: We may smell with our nose and our mouths and it could be the key to weight lossFingers crossed that someday carrots may taste more like carrot cake. Buzz60's Tony Spitz has the details.Buzz60
- Florida toddler with rare blood released from the hospitalZainab Mughal captured hearts worldwide late last year: A desperate plea for rare blood was sent out to help save the little girl battling cancer.WTSP-TV Tampa-St. Petersburg
- Is 'breaking the seal' myth or fact?<p>“Breaking the seal” means that if you run to the restroom after drinking alcohol, you'll be going excessively for the rest of the night. True?<br></p><p></p>SELF
The Salmonella Outbreak Linked To Ground Beef Has EndedNewsy0:36
New study: We may smell with our nose and our mouths and it could be the key to weight lossBuzz600:53
Florida toddler with rare blood released from the hospitalWTSP-TV Tampa-St. Petersburg0:52
Is 'breaking the seal' myth or fact?SELF1:44
Study: Exercise makes people happier than moneyCooking Light1:00
3 eating habits that can harm your liverCooking Light1:30
Waking up to melodic songs like this could be the key to waking up without the grogBuzz601:02
New study: Owning a dog makes you four times more likely to live a healthier and active lifestyleBuzz600:57
Study: Sugar making kids hyper might be sort of a mythBuzz601:27
When it comes to excuses for skipping the gym, Americans really put in the workBuzz601:14
Why caffeine is good and bad for your headacheBuzz601:15
More screen time could increase risk of ADHD and behavioral problems in toddlersBuzz601:25
Teens will stop buying junk food if they feel they're being manipulatedBuzz601:28
The shocking average emergency medical bill will make you want to start savingBuzz601:14
The medical device that has 100,000 women suingCBS News14:17
Family hit with $3,700 bill for out-of-network anesthesiologistCBS News2:21