- Costco wines have a reputation for being both high-quality and reasonably priced.
- Business Insider's retail desk recently did a wine tasting with several Kirkland wines.
- Here's the wine that I thought was the best buy from Costco.
Costco's Kirkland rioja wasn't just a good wine. At just $6.99, it was a great buy, too.
Business Insider's retail section recently did a wine tasting with a number of wines from Kirkland, Costco's private-label brand. I was only able to get my hands on seven different bottles, so keep in mind that this wasn't a comprehensive survey of every single Kirkland variety.
I ended up selecting the Kirkland malbec as the top wine after the tasting. But I'm giving the "best value" prize to the rioja, which I bought based on a recommendation from Costco Wine Blog founder and editor Andrew Cullen.
Both bottles cost $6.99, and both were highly drinkable reds. I enjoyed them both quite a bit. But Argentinian wines, like the malbec, are famous for being reasonably priced, so I figured getting an Old World wine for the same amount was neat.?
So I figured that the rioja's low price was even more impressive, given that context.
The Kirkland rioja we sampled belonged to the 2014 vintage. My colleagues and I especially liked the wine's "nice acidic bite," "notes of cinnamon," and its "classic rioja finish," not to mention its "incredible" pricetag.
Two coworkers found the beverage a bit too "light-bodied," but the majority of us agreed that we'd at least serve it to friends. And with a pricetag under $7, I imagine most red-wine-loving Costco members would have a hard time saying no to this spicy little number.
Do you like Costco wines and have a story to share? Email [email protected]
Related video: 75% of millennials say they would spend more money on wine if they could and it's shaking up the way companies like Walmart sell it
- Isaac Toups' fried chicken slidersNew Orleans chef Isaac Toups stops by the TODAY kitchen to share some great Mardi Gras recipes. See how to make his delicious crispy chicken sliders and sweet collard greens.TODAY
- How to Make Skillet Chicken with Roasted PotatoesHow to Make Skillet Chicken with Roasted PotatoesMy Recipes
- How to Make a Strawberry Shortcake ShakeWhen topped with pound cake and strawberries and drizzled with luscious strawberry syrup, this gorgeous milkshake might just be better than the real thing.My Recipes
75% of millennials say they would spend more money on wine if they could and it's shaking up the way companies like Walmart sell itBusiness Insider2:16
Isaac Toups' fried chicken slidersTODAY3:42
How to Make Skillet Chicken with Roasted PotatoesMy Recipes0:47
How to Make a Strawberry Shortcake ShakeMy Recipes0:27
Get your coffee fix in candy form with 'world's first' caffeinated gummy bearsBuzz600:57
Everything You Should Know About Sumo OrangesBetter Homes and Gardens1:03
How to grill fishMy Recipes1:07
Learn How to Make a Delicious Chicken Caesar Salad with Brussels SproutsTODAY2:54
How to make everything pad Thai by RachaelRachael Ray Show5:08
How Jelly Beans Are MadeRefinery295:36
Disney's Magic Kingdom offers a plant-based dining guideFood & Wine1:17
How to make cheddar ranch skillet cornbreadRachael Ray Show2:40
Chefs Share What the Southern Renaissance Means to ThemSaveur5:15
6 underrated cuts of meat to cook this summerFood & Wine1:21
The 5 most common home barbecue mistakes, according to a legendary pit masterFood & Wine1:24
This instant ramen hack is completely geniusDelish1:05